The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Gadhwa Donation 2 of the Time of Candragupta II

The inscription is on the proper left side of the stone, below %I-0010. It consists of eight lines, with the second half of each broken away.

Object Reference
Object URI
OB00010
Inscription URI
IN00011

Basic Metadata

Extent
10 cm width x 41 cm height
Decoration
None.
Language
Sanskrit
Script
eastern Gupta script, similar to %IN00001
Script size
0.8
Reigning Monarch
Candragupta II
Date (min)
406
Date (max)
408
Date comments
Intrinsic Date: 88 (era: Gupta). Basis of dating: intrinsic.
Toggle Width
Toggle Edition Styling
Diplomatic Edition
Edition
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" xml:lang="eng-Latn" xml:space="preserve">
<teiHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>Gadhwa Donation 2 of the Time of Candragupta II</title>
<editor>Dániel Balogh</editor>
</titleStmt>
<publicationStmt>
<authority>Siddham - The South Asia Inscriptions Database</authority>
<idno type="siddham_inscription_identifier">IN00011</idno>
</publicationStmt>
<sourceDesc>
<msDesc>
<msIdentifier>
<msName>Gadhwa Pillar Fragment 1</msName>
<idno type="siddham_object_identifier">OB00010</idno>
<repository>Indian Museum, Calcutta</repository>
</msIdentifier>
<physDesc>
<objectDesc>
<supportDesc>
<support>
<material>stone / unspecified</material>
<objectType>pillar / fragment</objectType>
<extent>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>24</width>
<height>77</height>
<depth>10</depth>
</dimensions>
<measure type="weight" unit="gram">not available</measure>
</extent>
<p>The stone was re-cut sometime after being engraved. The front has traces of 11 lines of writing, with about 13 characters each. These are illegible, but appear to be in the same alphabet as the preserved inscriptions and seem distinct from those. The back face, where the original pillar or block seems to have been cut in half, is rough. The ends of all lines on the proper left side, and the beginnings of all lines on the proper right side, are lost due to this cutting. The top two or three lines are also broken away, while the bottom is unscathed. The upper part of the right side bears two inscriptions of Candragupta II's time (%IN00010, 7 extant lines, the ends lost, and %IN00011, 8 extant lines, the ends lost). These two are not separated from one another except by punctuation. The lower part of the right side bears an inscription of Kumāragupta's time (%IN00030, 9 extant lines, the ends lost), separated from the earlier inscription only by a horizontal line. The left side also has an inscription of Kumāragupta's time (%IN00021, 9 extant lines, the beginnings lost), only found in 1890 by Cunningham after clearing away a lime coat under which it was hidden</p>
</support>
</supportDesc>
<layoutDesc>
<layout>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>10</width>
<height>41</height>
</dimensions>
<p>The inscription is on the proper left side of the stone, below %IN00010. It consists of eight lines, with the second half of each broken away.</p>
</layout>
</layoutDesc>
</objectDesc>
<handDesc>
<height unit="cm">0.8</height>
<p>eastern Gupta script, similar to %IN00001</p>
</handDesc>
<decoDesc>
<p>None.</p>
</decoDesc>
</physDesc>
<history>
<origin>
<origPlace>?Gadhwa</origPlace>
<origDate />
</origin>
<p>Found in 1871-72 by Bābū Śiva Prasād, built into the wall of a residential house in Gaḍhwā Fort (13 km west by south of Bārā and 2.5 km south of the village of Bhaṭgaḍh in Karchanā Tehsil of Allahābād District).</p>
</history>
</msDesc>
</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc></teiHeader>
<text>
<body>
<div type="edition" xml:lang="san-Latn"><p>
<lb n="1" />parama-bhāgavata-mahā<supplied reason="undefined">rājādhirāja-śrī-candragupta-rā</supplied>
<lb n="2" />jya saṃvvatsare <num value="88">80 8</num> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
</p>
<p>
<supplied reason="lost">asyāṃ divasa-</supplied>
<lb n="3" />pūrvvāyāṃ pāṭ<choice><sic>ā</sic><corr>a</corr></choice>lipu<unclear>ttra</unclear> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" /> <supplied reason="lost">gṛ</supplied>
<lb break="no" n="4" />hasthasya bhāryyā y<gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="5" />##ātma-puṇy-opacay<supplied reason="lost">ārtthaṃ</supplied> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="6" />sadā-sattra-sāmānya-b<supplied reason="lost">rāhmaṇa</supplied> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="7" />dīnārāḥ daśa <num value="10">10</num> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
</p>
<p>
<supplied reason="lost">yaś cainaṃ</supplied>
<lb n="8" />dharmma-skandaṃ vyucchindy<unclear>ā</unclear><supplied reason="lost">t sa pañca-mahā-pātakaiḥ saṃyuktaḥ syād iti|</supplied>
</p>

</div></body>
</text>
</TEI>
Bibliographic Information (view/hide)
Bibliography description
First reported (with text and eye copy) in #ASIR_03:54-56. First edited in #Fleet_1880.
Inscription Concordance
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
7
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
8
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
1261
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
12
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
109-111
XML Plain
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" xml:lang="eng-Latn" xml:space="preserve">
<teiHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>Gadhwa Donation 2 of the Time of Candragupta II</title>
<editor>Dániel Balogh</editor>
</titleStmt>
<publicationStmt>
<authority>Siddham - The South Asia Inscriptions Database</authority>
<idno type="siddham_inscription_identifier">IN00011</idno>
</publicationStmt>
<sourceDesc>
<msDesc>
<msIdentifier>
<msName>Gadhwa Pillar Fragment 1</msName>
<idno type="siddham_object_identifier">OB00010</idno>
<repository>Indian Museum, Calcutta</repository>
</msIdentifier>
<physDesc>
<objectDesc>
<supportDesc>
<support>
<material>stone / unspecified</material>
<objectType>pillar / fragment</objectType>
<extent>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>24</width>
<height>77</height>
<depth>10</depth>
</dimensions>
<measure type="weight" unit="gram">not available</measure>
</extent>
<p>The stone was re-cut sometime after being engraved. The front has traces of 11 lines of writing, with about 13 characters each. These are illegible, but appear to be in the same alphabet as the preserved inscriptions and seem distinct from those. The back face, where the original pillar or block seems to have been cut in half, is rough. The ends of all lines on the proper left side, and the beginnings of all lines on the proper right side, are lost due to this cutting. The top two or three lines are also broken away, while the bottom is unscathed. The upper part of the right side bears two inscriptions of Candragupta II's time (%IN00010, 7 extant lines, the ends lost, and %IN00011, 8 extant lines, the ends lost). These two are not separated from one another except by punctuation. The lower part of the right side bears an inscription of Kumāragupta's time (%IN00030, 9 extant lines, the ends lost), separated from the earlier inscription only by a horizontal line. The left side also has an inscription of Kumāragupta's time (%IN00021, 9 extant lines, the beginnings lost), only found in 1890 by Cunningham after clearing away a lime coat under which it was hidden</p>
</support>
</supportDesc>
<layoutDesc>
<layout>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>10</width>
<height>41</height>
</dimensions>
<p>The inscription is on the proper left side of the stone, below %IN00010. It consists of eight lines, with the second half of each broken away.</p>
</layout>
</layoutDesc>
</objectDesc>
<handDesc>
<height unit="cm">0.8</height>
<p>eastern Gupta script, similar to %IN00001</p>
</handDesc>
<decoDesc>
<p>None.</p>
</decoDesc>
</physDesc>
<history>
<origin>
<origPlace>?Gadhwa</origPlace>
<origDate />
</origin>
<p>Found in 1871-72 by Bābū Śiva Prasād, built into the wall of a residential house in Gaḍhwā Fort (13 km west by south of Bārā and 2.5 km south of the village of Bhaṭgaḍh in Karchanā Tehsil of Allahābād District).</p>
</history>
</msDesc>
</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc></teiHeader>
<text>
<body>
<div type="edition" xml:lang="san-Latn"><p>
<lb n="1" />parama-bhāgavata-mahā<supplied reason="undefined">rājādhirāja-śrī-candragupta-rā</supplied>
<lb n="2" />jya saṃvvatsare <num value="88">80 8</num> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
</p>
<p>
<supplied reason="lost">asyāṃ divasa-</supplied>
<lb n="3" />pūrvvāyāṃ pāṭ<choice><sic>ā</sic><corr>a</corr></choice>lipu<unclear>ttra</unclear> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" /> <supplied reason="lost">gṛ</supplied>
<lb break="no" n="4" />hasthasya bhāryyā y<gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="5" />##ātma-puṇy-opacay<supplied reason="lost">ārtthaṃ</supplied> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="6" />sadā-sattra-sāmānya-b<supplied reason="lost">rāhmaṇa</supplied> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
<lb n="7" />dīnārāḥ daśa <num value="10">10</num> <gap extent="unknown" reason="lost" />
</p>
<p>
<supplied reason="lost">yaś cainaṃ</supplied>
<lb n="8" />dharmma-skandaṃ vyucchindy<unclear>ā</unclear><supplied reason="lost">t sa pañca-mahā-pātakaiḥ saṃyuktaḥ syād iti|</supplied>
</p>

</div></body>
</text>
</TEI>